Quality Indicators for Assistive Technology in Post-Secondary education is sponsored by Great Lakes ADA Center and is a collaborative effort of hundreds of professionals from a wide variety of higher education, K-12 schools and students.
The Development of the QIAT-PS project
The QIAT-PS project was modeled after the successful implementation of K-12 based assistive technology indicators developed as a grassroots collaborative to improve service delivery. The K-12 based indicators have developed over a decade to include eight areas, including an area focused on transition.
The transition area of the K-12 indicators involves the student change in settings, for example, elementary to middle school or high school to community. The transition from public to post-secondary education is perhaps one of the most significant changes for students. The impetus of what has become the QIAT-PS project began in 2006 with interested people examining the factors impacting success in the integration of assistive technology into college life and questioning if quality indicators for assistive technology in post-secondary environments might be as useful as they have been in K-12.
The tools created with this QIAT-PS project are a set of indicators for the post-secondary institution, as well as for the individual student. Taken together they offer a coordinated framework to support the transition process. The indicators are an extension of the QIAT K-12 transition guidelines and respond to the civil rights legislation of the Americans with Disabilities (ADA) and sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act which will guide a student in their new post-secondary educational environment.
A Special Thank-You to Schools Participating in the Campus and Student Pilot Studies
- Arkansas State University – Jonesboro, AR
- Augsburg College – Minneapolis, MN
- City Colleges of Chicago – Chicago, IL
- Joliet Junior College – Joliet, IL
- Lamar University – Beaumont, TX
- Lone Star College System – Woodlands, TX
- Miami University – Oxford, OH
- Minnesota State University Moorhead – Moorhead, MN
- Northland Community and Technical College – East Grand Forks, MN
- Sante Fe College – Gainesville, FL
- University of Arkansas – Fayetteville, AR
- University of Arkansas – Little Rock, AR
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater – Whitewater, WI
- Waubonsee Community College – Sugar Grove, IL